Sunday, July 3, 2011

CS488 Final Project - START!

I finished up my final project proposal last week and had started to work on the project. I decided to make an on-rails shooter akin to Star Fox. It was is one of my favourite Nintendo series and I wanted to try and make something similar.

This will be my first OpenGL game, I'll be using and learning SDL for this, as my friends who also love making games have said its a great library.

For the scope of the project for CS488, I plan on only making one level - as it should be sufficient to meet the technical objectives I have set for this project. However, I will continue to work on this even after I'm done the course.

I just finished up the setting up of an OpenGL context using SDL and also created a mesh loader class to load Wavefront .obj files. I can render meshes now, and I also finished off my texture loader/manager class. The texture loader gave me a lot of problems, one hiccup I encountered was that I made calls to glVertex3f and glTexcoord3f in the wrong order. This made it so the texture was being displayed incorrectly because the glTexcoord was being associated with the incorrect vertex. However, I found out after looking at the code and playing around with some simpler meshes and got it to work.

Here's my very early start on the project:


The texture is very basic right now, so I'll have to change it later. The next step I'm going to take is probably editing my ship class to handle input so that I can have it move around the screen in a "realistic" way; and by realistic I mean have it maneuver around like it was an Arwing!

No comments:

Post a Comment