Thursday, July 7, 2011

Height Maps and Level Objects

So I finished off the height map generated terrain yesterday and tweaked it so that I am scrolling it as the game proceeds. I am only drawing a part of the entire terrain at any time by limiting the rows of the array I draw. I have also finished implementing a file parser for my level data, which is a simple text file that I use to dynamically control what objects are in a level and where.

Here's an early screenshot of what I have :


I made a simple arch shape and a long stick shape as obstacles to be tested with. The level data allows me to easily change what objects exist in a level very quickly. Here's another screenshot of a level where I added many objects!


That only took a few seconds - this will help me a lot when I'm actually making the levels!

The upcoming tasks I will tackle is storing the vertex data in vertex arrays and also adding in shadows using either the shadow volume projection technique or the stencil buffer shadow technique. I'm still learning so I'll know more once I start working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment